OYC Meeting Minutes – 06/09/2023
United Kingdom Youth Parliament – The Parliament Organisation for MYPs and DMYPs. The UKYP is known for the yearly debate in the Houses of Parliament, in which MYPs attend to debate the top 5 issues, that were voted on in the MYM voting scheme. More ANNUAL CONFERENCE (TOM)
One of our MYPs, Tom, went to the United Kingdom Youth Parliament – The Parliament Organisation for MYPs and DMYPs. The UKYP is known for the yearly debate in the Houses of Parliament, in which MYPs attend to debate the top 5 issues, that were voted on in the MYM voting scheme. More Annual Conference in the end of July. Here he mentioned two things he learned other MYPs nationally did and wanted to see if Oldham Youth Council More would like to do these. This includes one Member of Youth Parliament – The Member of the Youth Parliament is elected to represent the LA on a national level. More getting all schools in their local authority to provide free sanitary products. Chris however pointed out most schools in Oldham do via their school nurse / reception, and non-profits such as “The Red Box Project” already provide them to schools for free. Another point Tom raised, which links with our cost of living priority, is to get more food box donations from schools. It was suggested here that we could get a local business to donate a box for collections at schools.
MAKING YOUR MARK OLDHAM (CHRIS)
After our recent “Making Your Mark Oldham” survey in February, a report has been generated. In this section, youth councillors were asked to check the report before being endorsed by Oldham Youth Service, and posted online. The final report will come soon.
CORNERS OF THE MIND (PENELOPE & ISAAC)
In the priorities meeting last week (Wed 30 Sep 2023), youth councillors discussed ideas generated from the A trip with an overnight stay More about our mental health priority, in particular the “Corners of the Mind Walk Through Experience”, which is a projected event Oldham Youth Council More will host in February / March, aimed at Years 11 and 13, to highlight different ways to relieve stress. In this event, there will be 4 rooms, which are visited in the order: social, mindful, creative and physical.
The social section will bring people together and break the ice before visiting the next rooms, since some of the next rooms may require people to partner / group up. The subsequent room is planned to be the mindful room, which shows attendees ways to be calm, and may include yoga, candles and other ways to be at peace. This will be followed by the creative area, enabling attendees to make stuff (such as grass weaving or origami) or do stuff (such as drama). The final room will be the physical area, which involves any physical activity, such as with gym equipment or even axe throwing.
Note that the actual contents of each room are not decided yet due to there not being any checks for financial feasibility. This workshop will be discussed in priorities meetings from now, with the other main campaign, on smoking and vaping, being discussed in main meetings.
Oldham Youth Council More elections will take place in November / December, with a call for candidates being done from September. Youth workers will go into schools and offer workshops on manifesto writing should a school want that.
Additionally, by October the youth council needs to decide who will be automatically turned over to the next term of office. Our A constitution is a set of rules that guides how an organisation works. The constitution says how the organisation is set up and how it works. It also states the rights of it's members. More states we can roll over up to 25 youth councillors, which must include the youth mayor, The Youth Councillor who runs the meeting, heads up the organisation and has the casting vote. Or something to sit on but probably the first one on our site :-) More, vice The Youth Councillor who runs the meeting, heads up the organisation and has the casting vote. Or something to sit on but probably the first one on our site :-) More, MYPs, DMYPs and Greater Manchester Youth Combined Authority More representatives. Those who do not get rolled over will be allowed to run for re-election, and will end their term in December 2022 unless re-elected.
EVENTS AND TRIPS (CHRIS)
- Sat 09 Sep 2023, 9am to 4pm – British Youth Council – A Youth Lead organisation representing 11-18 year olds across Great Britain. More Annual Conference Meeting. An online conference which will involve electing trustees and other British Youth Council – A Youth Lead organisation representing 11-18 year olds across Great Britain. More business.
- Sat 09 Sep 2023, 9:30am to 4:30pm – An organisation in which youth councillors from the North West meet up and work on campaigns and training. More. No more places are available for this.
- Sat 09 Sep 2023, all day – The Oldham Way Challenge. A fundraiser for the mayor’s charity.
- Mon 11 Sep 2023, 7pm to 9pm, Mayor’s Chamber – The Mayors Charity Commitee. Barry and his team are struggling for ideas for fundraising, and would like more ideas from younger people.
- Thu 14 Sep 2023, evening – Overview and Scrutiny. This is the children and young people panel on vaping and reducing it. No more places are available for this.
- Tue 26 Sep 2023, 3pm to 7pm, QE Hall – Youth Employment event. Amanda Youlden from Oldham Council is holding an event about apprenticeships and part time jobs. Oldham Youth Council More have been asked to host a stall.
AOB (The Youth Councillor who runs the meeting, heads up the organisation and has the casting vote. Or something to sit on but probably the first one on our site :-) More)
- Ying mentioned that the Environmental Working Group (EWG) have an event on Mon 02 Oct 2023 on food poverty and hidden hunger. If anyone wants to help with this event, and go to the EWG event every Monday in September 2023, they should contact Penelope or Ying to be involved.
- Chris mentioned the Beeheard meeting on Monday the 25th September 2023.